MAIN COURSE DISHES/ AUNT JOANIE'S CHILI

             BY JOAN RICKETTS LOCKE

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
Chili and Cornbread
 1 lb. ground sausage (I use Bob Evan's sage)
1 pint of Joan's home canned tomatoes, peppers
and onions (or use one medium/pint size jar
of salsa)
1 large can of Tomato Soup
2 cans of pinto beans
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. Chili powder
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. cumin
3 dashes of Texas Pete Hot Sauce
 (or as many shakes as you like)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 can of beer ( I enjoy the other half!)

In a large pot, cook meat until browned,
drain off fat.  Stir in 1 tbsp. bacon grease,
(this is optional, when I cook bacon, I 
save the grease in a tin container in the
fridge to use for seasoning), stir in the
remaining ingredients.  Cover and simmer
for two hours, stirring occasionally to 
prevent sticking.  (you may also cook
in a crock pot).

Serve with hot cornbread or biscuits.
Husband, Wayne, likes to put peanut
butter on his cornbread and top with 
chili and shredded cheese and sour
cream.  I've never tried this but he 
loves it!

Joan says,"I will give you the recipe Bud without breaking my neck!"
Family Reunion at Bethany Beach, Delaware July 1988
l
Top your chili with whatever you like:
sour cream, shredded cheese, crumbled
bacon.  Enjoy!